Giorgio Franchetti Gallery at the Ca 'd'Oro
The Giorgio Franchetti Gallery at the Ca 'd'Oro is housed in one of the most prestigious late Gothic palaces in Venice.
The important art collection occupies two floors of the building.
Belonging to Baron Giorgio Franchetti (1865-1927), in 1916 he donated his collections and the building itself to the Italian State, after having restored its original splendor with extensive restorations. The nobleman's collection, including furniture, paintings, medals, tapestries, bronzes and sculptures , was expanded over the years with the annexation of Renaissance works from suppressed or demolished religious buildings and collections from the Accademia Galleries and the Museum Archaeological , while a new exhibition section dedicated to Venetian ceramics has found space, since 1992, in the adjacent Palazzo Duodo .
The visit to the Galleria Giorgio Franchetti at the Ca 'd'Oro is not limited to the Gallery, opened to the public in 1927, which still retains, as a whole, the structure of the ancient Venetian warehouse. Of particular interest is the internal courtyard, with the suggestive floor mosaic in ancient marble , made by the baron himself to evoke the early Christian basilicas, and the original well-head sculpted by Bartolomeo Bon in 1427. In the atrium - an ideal custody of the building and its fate - the ashes of Giorgio Franchetti rest under a porphyry stone.