National Museum of Matera: Palazzo Lanfranchi headquarters
The National Museum of Medieval and Modern Art of Basilicata is located in Palazzo Lanfranchi, a prestigious building built immediately behind the Sasso Caveoso between 1668 and 1672 as a seminary. The exhibition itinerary of the Museum, on the first floor of the Palace, is divided into three sections: Sacred Art , Collectibles and Contemporary Art . The Sacred Art section is made up of a nucleus of works, paintings on canvas, on wood, sculptures, wooden and stone artefacts, coming from churches in the regional territory which have lost their original location or which, taken to be subjected to restoration interventions restoration, are temporarily exhibited, to document the protection, safeguard and valorization activity that the Superintendency for Historical, Artistic and Ethnoanthropological Heritage carries out in the area and to tell the history and figurative art of Basilicata. The Collectibles section displays a selection of paintings from the Camillo d'Errico collection in Palazzo San Gervasio, an important example of nineteenth-century private collecting in Basilicata which includes over three hundred canvases from the Neapolitan school of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, including masterpieces by artists of excellence in panorama of the figurative culture of these centuries. The Contemporary Art section presents works by Carlo Levi (Turin 1902- Rome 1975), including the large telero 'Lucania'61'.