National Museums of Genoa - Royal Palace
What we now call Palazzo Reale is actually a large patrician residence built, enlarged and decorated with splendor over time, not only by the Savoys in the 19th century , but also by two great Genoese dynasties: the Balbi , who built it between 1643 and 1650, and the Durazzos who enlarged it between the end of the seventeenth century and the beginning of the following century. The vaults of the living rooms and galleries are frescoed by some of the most important names in local Baroque and Rococo decoration. Among the over one hundred paintings exhibited in the rooms are works by the best Genoese artists of the seventeenth century together with masterpieces by Bassano , Tintoretto , Luca Giordano , Antoon van Dyck , Ferdinand Voet and Guercino .
The visit includes the monumental atrium with eighteenth-century stuccos , the courtyard of honour , the hanging garden and the noble apartment on the second floor with spectacular representative rooms such as the Throne Room , the Ballroom and the Mirror Gallery .
On Saturday mornings (09:00 - 13:30) or on the occasion of temporary exhibitions, it is also possible to visit the Apartment of the Hereditary Princes, also known as that of the Duke of Abruzzi, set up by the Savoys on the first noble floor of the building: this admirable example of a royal apartment conserves nineteenth-century furnishings, fabrics and decorations are still intact
The residence is part of the "Palazzi dei Rolli" system and therefore since 2006 it has been recognized as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO .