The Museum of Natural History of the Academy of Fisiocritics
The Museum of Natural History of the Academy of Fisiocritics of Siena, hosted in the former Camaldolese monastery of Santa Mustola dating back to the 12th century, is one of the oldest and most important scientific museums in Tuscany.
The Academy of the "Fisiocriti" founded in 1691 by Pirro Maria Gabriarelli, professor of medicine and botany in the University Siena, gathered in itself many scholars who met periodically to discuss scientific issues and search for the true natural phenomena through experimental practice . In fact, from this it comes from this "physiocritic" term that means "judges of nature" or "those who study nature".
Given one of the most famous cultural societies in Europe, among its members he had scientists like Carlo Linneo, Joseph-Louis Lagrange, Alessandro Volta, Louis Pasteur. The exhibition, the original nucleus dates back to the mid-18th century, collects naturalist and historical finds, vintage instruments and curiosities and is organized in four sections.
Particularly significant are the "Paolo Mascagni" collection, with anatomical preparations made with the technique of the injection of metallic mercury in lymphatic vessels, but also the "Francesco Valenti-Serini" collection of which a large collection of terracotta models is part of Mushrooms and a Herbarium of Lichens. Furthermore, the "Francesco Spirito" collection, with anatomical preparations treated with petrification process.