Museum complex of San Francesco
The heart of the complex is the Church of San Francesco, with the splendid frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli, author of the decorations of the chapel of San Girolamo and of those of the apse. His Stories from the life of St. Francis (1452) are among the most important Renaissance cycles preserved. Along the way, precious art collections are arranged around this pulsating center: the art gallery, the crypt with the ancient cellars of the minor friars, the section of archaeological finds and stone fragments and, finally, the spaces dedicated to exhibitions of contemporary art.
Its extraordinary cycle of frescoes is the glory of Montefalco. Built between 1335 and 1338 by the Friars Minor, the rectangular-plan church is composed of a central nave which ends with a pentagonal apse, beautifully frescoed by Benozzo Gozzoli with Stories from the Life of St. Francis. The twenty episodes in the life of the Saint are narrated within twelve scenes arranged on three registers. The vaults of the apse are decorated with plant elements, figures of Franciscan saints and Gloria di San Francesco.
Jacopo Vincioli, Giovanni di Corraduccio, Ascensidonio Spacca worked on the decoration of the side chapels, while the fresco in the counter-façade with the Annunciation with the Eternal in glory between angels and the Nativity is the work of 1503 by Pietro Vannucci known as Perugino.
In the four rooms of the Pinacoteca you can see the works of art that belonged to the religious corporations of the Municipality of Montefalco: canvases, tables, detached frescoes from other churches in the area, as well as fabrics and furnishings.
The ancient cellars of the Friars Minor Conventual were a happy discovery during the last restoration works. The cellars date back to the 18th and 19th centuries. Among the works of the archaeological section, the marble statue of Hercules is exhibited.