The Bomben And Caotorta Buildings
The institutional headquarters of the Benetton Studi Ricerche Foundation is located in the historic center of Treviso and is made up of the Bomben and Caotorta buildings.
Both palaces stand on ancient buildings, datable to the XIV-XV centuries, partly incorporated in the successive modifications that took place continuously until the mid-twentieth century.
In 1944 the rear part of Palazzo Bomben was hit by a bombing, which led to the subsequent collapse of the roof, the floors and part of the walls.
In 1999, when the restoration work began - by the architect Tobia Scarpa -, the damage caused during the Second World War was in a certain sense little compared to that due to the serious state of neglect in which both buildings were found. The complex intervention, completed in 2003, gave a new life to the whole. All the open spaces have taken the form of an exclusively pedestrian urban garden.
Palazzo Caotorta is in particular the seat of research, scientific planning, publishing and the documentation center.
The renovated spaces of Palazzo Bomben host the public initiatives of a scientific and popular nature organized by the Foundation, and offer the city environments suitable for public cultural moments of various kinds.
In addition to the Bomben and Caotorta palaces, the Benetton Studi Ricerche Foundation carries out part of its cultural activities in the church of San Teonisto and in Ca 'Scarpa, in Treviso, and at the Luisa and Gaetano Cozzi house in Zero Branco (Treviso).
Ph. credit: Antonia Mulas e Corrado Piccoli