Villa Pisani National Museum
The National Museum of Villa Pisani, on the Brenta Riviera, in Stra in the province of Venice, is one of the most visited cultural sites in Veneto. The monumental villa, built in the first half of the 1700s, is nicknamed the Queen of Venetian villas. Its history is closely intertwined with European events between 1700 and 1800 and represents an interesting narration of the epochal changes of that period.
Wanted and conceived by the Venetian Pisani family of Santo Stefano, the villa is an expression of the tastes and interests of the various owners who after the fall of the Serenissima and the financial failure of the Pisani family were protagonists: Napoleone Buonaparte, Eugenio Beauharnais; the Habsburgs, with the viceroy Ranieri, the Savoy and finally the Italian State.
Today the complex with its 14 hectares of extension, over 3,000 tall trees, splendid architectures and sculptures scattered in the green, its famous labyrinth, together with the eighteenth-century villa constitutes one of the most important attractions of the Riviera del Brenta.
The grandiose design of the park was entrusted to the architect Girolamo Frigimelica who created an articulated geometric composition in 1721, clearly inspired by the gardens of Versailles, characterized by a complex scenographic game, an expression of the grandeur requested by the client. The protagonists of these perspective articulations are the small but extraordinary architectures scattered throughout the park: the artificial hill with the "Coffee House", the gardener's house and warehouse, the Belvedere portal, the labyrinth with its turret, the exedra, splendid and ephemeral architecture and the enchanting building of the Stables.
The design of the villa was instead entrusted to the architect Francesco Maria Preti who built a building, similar to a royal palace, completed in 1756. Consisting of 114 rooms in honor of Alvise Pisani, 114th Doge of the Serenissima, it covers an area of just under 5,000.00 square meters.
Inside there are frescoes, stuccos, architectural decorations, sculptures and original and highly valuable furnishings from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Venice, France and Austria express their power, their taste and their culture in this home: three different components that interact in the same rooms, perfectly blended, expressions of different cultures but characterized by a love for art.
Among the masterpieces preserved here, the famous ceiling fresco "The apotheosis of the Pisani family", the last work by Giambattista Tiepolo, made in Italy, stands out in the splendid ballroom.