On the occasion of Antonio Canova's bicentenary , Perugia pays tribute to the master with an exhibition-itinerary that winds between Palazzo Baldeschi and the MUSA, Museum of the Academy of Fine Arts . From 6 July the exhibition dedicated to the great sculptor organized by the “Pietro Vannucci” Academy of Fine Arts and the Perugia Foundation comes to life.
Umbria celebrates Canova. On 6 July , in Perugia , the MUSA, museum of the Academy of Fine Arts and Palazzo Baldeschi al Corso will open their doors to a large exhibition dedicated to the great sculptor in the bicentenary of his death: “At the time of Canova. An Umbrian itinerary ". Two exhibition venues in the historic city center for a wide-ranging project promoted by the “Pietro Vannucci” Academy of Fine Arts and the Perugia Foundation , already involved in shared initiatives in the past, and curated by Stefania Petrillo , professor at the University of Perugia. For the Academy of Fine Arts the organizational part was coordinated by Giovanni Manuali, for the Perugia Foundation by Maria Cristina De Angelis.
Focused on the nucleus of Canovian plasters preserved at the MUSA, museum of the Perugia Academy - including The Three Graces, donated by the sculptor himself in 1822 - the exhibition enhances the artistic and cultural context within which these works were inserted, recounting a Umbria inscribed in wider dynamics and in a lively network of relationships.
There are many innovations present in this review conceived as a journey through time, with over one hundred works that will tell about the "sister arts" that flourished in an era that, despite the great upheavals of history, or perhaps precisely for this reason, cultivated Beauty: sculpture , architecture, painting, even in papal and Napoleonic Umbria were participants in that "happy revolution of the arts" which had the absolute protagonist in Canova.
The itinerary of the exhibition - real and ideal - will thus have small and large "post stations" around works and protagonists of a season that culminated in the particularly influential bond that Canova had between 1812 and 1822 with the Academy of Fine Arts of Perugia, whose choices he guided, supporting the appointment of directors such as Carlo Labruzzi, Tommaso Minardi, Giovanni Sanguinetti.