Sezione Naturalistica Musei Civici di Bassano del Grappa preserves natural history collections ancient and recent. The historical collections, geological and botanical, date back to the years of the museum's founding, when the geologist and naturalist Giambattista Brocchi Bassano, in 1828, let memorize options a gift to the Cityà Bassano by the willà testamentary, its geo-paleontological collections, its library and its manuscripts, in order thaté born the Civic Museum. Even his pupil and collaborator Alberto Parolini, botanical Bassano, Don memorize options at the museum, at his death, in 1867, its geological collections, his herbarium, its library and its manuscripts. This first nucleus is then increased with the’ herbarium of the pharmacist and botanical bassanese Giovanni Montini, collaborator A. Parolini. In recent times the end of the last century were added, again for donation, the entomological collections of Ferruccio and Mario Meneghetti and, recently, Luca Cites collection has enriched the collection of a zoological museum with many mammals and birds. The museum also possesses collections natural minor (in number, not matter) shells (malacological collection H. Nisters), dragonflies, other herbaria and a small, but important, collection zoological of rare mammals belonging to species in danger of extinction, entrusted to permanently store the museum from Cities Service the State Forestry.
the collections of natural history especially historical ones, have suffered over the nearly two centuries since the founding of the alternate conservation history museum, ranging from enhancement up to total disinterest and neglect and decay, also due to the tragedy of the bombing of Bassano, who was also involved in the museum during the Second World war. The damaged collections (in particular the herbals) from the bombardment and subsequent negligence in storage are not più been exposed to the public until now.