Castello Svevo di Bari è a’ an imposing fortress dating back to the XIII Century , now a museum; located on the edge of the historic center, near dell’ port area and the Cathedral, with its mass is one of the più important and famous monuments of the cityà ;. Historically attributed to the Norman King Ruggero II , the castle is located in the in 1131 on existing housing facilities Byzantine and, after the harsh intervention of William the Malo , it is recovered from Frederick II between the 1233 and 1240. in the second halfà of the thirteenth century, Carlo d’ Angi memorize options implement a restoration program aimed at strengthening the’ north of the castle wing, the lapped-time directly from the sea. In the sixteenth century, Isabella D’ Aragon and the daughter Bona Sforza radically transform the castle, adapting it to the development of’ heavy artillery by building a mighty wall bastionata around the Swabian Norman nucleus. In the following centuries, especially during the Bourbon rule, the castle underwent a substantial abandonment, becoming the first imprisoned and then barracks. Only in 1937 become headquarters of the Superintendent of Monuments and Galleries of Apulia and Basilicata.
core Norman-Swabian è a trapezoidal plan, with a central courtyard and three high strongly embossed angular towers. Overcoming the southwestern tower, called the Juvenile for having hosted the prison section in the nineteenth century, meets the’ original input, the Portal Frederick that leads into the central courtyard. Here now we are facing three lounges and a small chapel in classic shapes. In the   sixteenth century; duchesses Aragonese implement a radical trasformazionedel complex. Inside the Castle takes the’ appearance of a Renaissance château with a’ elegant and spectacular double staircase connecting the ground floor to the great halls of the main floor.
In the dell&rsquo salt; west wing to ground floor of the Castleè hosted the Plaster Cast , collection of plaster casts of sculptures apparatuses of the mostù important monuments and cathedrals of Puglia made in the 1911 by sculptors Pasquale Duretti Mario Sabatelli. Also on the ground floorè ; You can visit two small archaeological excavation areas, where they are visible pre-existing Byzantine structures. In the S ala Aragonese è hosted a permanent photo exhibit on the story of the restoration and functional recovery of the Castle performed during the twentieth century. In the Room Angevin has found place the collection archaeological ceramic coming from the&ldquo excavation; throw” Castle, dating from the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries. In the Room Norman are exposed stone materials erratic, while the room on the first level of the Tower of Juvenile houses precious materials. Destined to accommodate temporary exhibitions and cultural events are the two mostù large areas of the main floor, the Room Bona Sforza and Sala Federico II.