Palazzo Mocenigo, in Venice , was inhabited by the Mocenigo family until recently.
Palazzo Mocenigo conserves frescoes and rococo or neoclassical furnishings on the first noble floor, mostly dating back to the second half of the eighteenth century .
Of particular importance are the frescoes on the ceilings made in 1787 for the wedding of Alvise IV's nephew with Laura Corner, such as those by Jacopo Guarana (Verona, 1720– Venice, 1808), Giambattista Canal (Venice, 1745– 1825) and Giovanni Scajaro ( att. Second half of the 18th century). Also noteworthy are the briar doors and the carved and gilded wooden frames.
In 1985, after substantial restoration work, the Mocenigo apartment was opened to the public as a museum, without however losing the charm and atmosphere of the lived-in house. In the same year the Study Center for the History of Textile and Costume was established in Palazzo Mocenigo (now the Study Center for the History of Textile, Costume and Perfume), hosting the extensive textile and ancient clothing collections of the Civic Museums - mainly from the Correr, Guggenheim, Cini, Grassi collections - and a specialized library, always open, in which the important collection of over 13,000 figurines from the 18th to the 19th century stands out.
The itinerary of the museum, completely renovated and enlarged in 2013, winds through twenty rooms on the first noble floor, doubling the exhibition areas opened in 1985. The environment as a whole evokes different aspects of the life and activities of the Venetian aristocracy between the 17th and XVIII century, and is populated by mannequins wearing precious ancient clothes and accessories belonging to the Study Center of the History of Textile and Costume.
Fashion and customs , with particular reference to the history of the city, therefore immediately characterize the museum's research and exhibition activity, in the environmental context of the noble palace of the Mocenigo family .