Carlo Goldoni's house
The Casa di Carlo Goldoni , also known as Ca 'Centani, or Centanni, was built in the 15th century. It is a typical Gothic palace of not excessive dimensions, but which still presents today, despite the various restorations, the layout and the typical elements of Venetian civil architecture between the end of the fourteenth century and the beginning of the fifteenth century.
Carlo Goldoni, now eighty and in Paris for twenty-five years, remembers his hometown Venice , on the occasion of the inauguration of the Mémoires.
“Je suis né à Venise, the year 1707, in a grande et belle maison, located and between the pont de Nomboli et celui de honest Donna, au coin de rue of Ca 'Centanni, sur le paroisse de S. Thomas”. [I was born in Venice, in 1707, in a large and beautiful house, located between the bridge of Nomboli and that of the honest woman, at the corner of calle di Ca 'Centanni, in the parish church of San Tomà]
The House of Carlo Goldoni owned by the Rizzi family (on the well in the courtyard you can see a hedgehog sculpted that stands out in the family sign), it was rented to the Zentani or Centani, from which it then took its name, also hosting a flourishing artistic activity - literary academy. Towards the end of 1600, Carlo Goldoni's paternal grandfather, Carlo Alessandro, a notary of Modenese origin, settled here. The Goldoni family remained in this house, where Carlo was born on February 25, 1707, until 1719.
In 1914 Aldo Ravà, an illustrious Venetian scholar of the eighteenth century, Count Piero Foscari and Commendatore Antonio Pellegrini bought the property from the last owner, Countess Ida Manassero Camozzo. The idea was to transform it into a museum structure to be dedicated, in the name of the great playwright, to all Italian dramatic art, but the project stopped due to the war. In 1931 Ca 'Centani was donated to the Municipality of Venice to be restored and destined for the Goldonian Museum and Theater Studies Center . The new war events slowed down the restoration work, which ended only in 1953, the year in which the Carlo Goldoni House was open to the public.