The exhibition celebrates a well-known Murano reality, NasonMoretti which in 2023 celebrates one hundred years of activity. “An opportunity” – as stated by the President of the MUVe Foundation, Mariacristina Gribaudi – “to look back, reveal the archives and share with the public of the Glass Museum an important company history made up of over ten thousand models".
“The exhibition – and the subsequent celebratory volume published by Marsilio – will give an account of the most successful objects created by the furnace and the collaborations with some important names in design and architecture, without neglecting a section dedicated to current affairs demonstrating the vitality of this great family business in Murano", anticipate Cristina Beltrami and Chiara Squarcina, curators of the exhibition.
Founded in 1923, as Cristalleria Nason & Moretti, the company immediately chose a specific direction - the art of the table - and, with an attitude of profound modernity, is capable of keeping faith with the technical tradition of the past by reinterpreting it according to contemporary formulas and a process that was, even then, semi-industrial due to the widespread use of the "mold". The first room will in fact welcome the visitor with a highly effective scenographic setup which will immediately highlight how the peculiarity of NasonMoretti is linked to the art of the table with objects of the most varied shapes and very intense colours.
The exhibition itinerary continues chronologically from the symbolic services, such as the Francesca from 1926, of which an example is preserved in the Wolsfoniana Museum in Genoa, and the Service for the Vittoriale from 1930 in black and coral red glass or the Rep, the official goblet of the tables of the Quirinale – always in a close dialogue between drawing and created object.
Strengthened by a very rich palette and a constant openness to the new, Nason & Moretti has become a point of reference for design since 1955 when the Lidia cups won the Compasso d'Oro. That same series of glass that two years later, in 1956, the architect Philip Johnson donated to the MoMa museum in New York. Since the mid-1950s, Nason & Moretti has also been a constant presence at the Venetian Biennials. The exhibition will finally close with a series of more recent iconic glasses - mostly still in production and with some collaborations with contemporary artists and designers such as Fabio Bortolani, Maria Grazia Rosin, Marco Zito, Matteo Zorzenoni.