The Santa Maria della Scala is a monumental complex located in the heart of the city of Siena, on the top of the hill that houses the cathedral. The particular position has also determined its extraordinary conformation, on various levels, sloping down from Piazza Duomo to the valley behind it. Born as a medieval hospital, located along the route of the Via Francigena, it has developed over the centuries, constituting the city hospital until just under 50 years ago. The object of a major restoration project, it still has, alongside the numerous spaces open to the public and variously intended for museum itineraries, exhibition areas, service areas, etc., still today a part affected by the recovery site. At the level of Piazza Duomo, the current entrance to the museum, the monumental spaces open up, consisting of large halls (pilgrims), aisles, former refectory, sacristy and chapel, church, courtyards, ancient apothecary, now home to the Museum of Art for Children and spaces for educational activities. The pivot of the plan is the extraordinary male Pellegrinaio, frescoed in the forties of the fifteenth century by Lorenzo di Pietro, Domenico di Bartolo and Priamo della Quercia with the mythical and real events of hospital history and with the accurate description of the hospital functions entrusted to the spaces and protagonists (Care and reception, Government of the sick, Distribution of alms). Contemporary are the frescoes of the Old Sacristy, entrusted to the hand of Lorenzo di Pietro, which illustrate the articles of the Apostolic Creed with New and Old Testament episodes: the space now houses the precious nucleus of hospital reliquaries, born around the relics purchased in 1359. The Piccolomini Spannocchi collection, an important collection of works collected by the two families and reunited by marriage in the second half of the eighteenth century, has recently been set up in the sector once intended for women and abandoned children, centered on the presence of two courtyards.