Palazzo Barberini in Rome is a historic building, emblem of Roman Baroque.
Part of the larger institution “Barberini Corsini National Gallery”, the Palace includes a museum and two galleries: Palazzo Barberini and the Corsini Gallery.
Palazzo Barberini was born as the palace of the Barberini family of the same name.
Commissioned by Pope Urban VIII, it was built starting in 1625 by the most famous architects of the seventeenth century: Carlo Maderno, Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Francesco Borromini and decorated by artists such as Andrea Sacchi and Pietro da Cortona who created the extraordinary ceiling with the Triumph in the main hall of Divine Providence .
Over 5000 works of art are preserved in the National Galleries of Palazzo Barberini , including paintings, sculptures, sketches and decorative arts from the thirteenth to the eighteenth century . The original nucleus of the National Galleries in Palazzo Barberini was formed in 1883 with the donation to the State of the Corsini collection, then located in Palazzo Corsini. The collection was soon enriched with works from prestigious Roman collections: Chigi, Torlonia, Mattei, Odescalchi, Sciarra.
In 1949 the Italian State purchased Palazzo Barberini from the family's heirs, where in 1953 the new headquarters of the National Gallery was opened which today exhibits a collection of works from the thirteenth to the eighteenth century with absolute masterpieces such as the Annunciation by Filippo Lippi, the Fornarina by Raphael , Judith and Holofernes by Caravaggio.