The Castle Of Canossa
The Castle of Canossa was probably founded in the mid-tenth century by Adalberto Act. We still do not know exactly what structures constitute the complex realized by him but it is likely that it will imperniasse on a modest fortified residence and on what will become the prosperous Benedictine monastery of St. Apollonius. The remains of Canossa Castle rise above a white sandstone rock, reduced to a limited portion of the area a fortified time because of the phenomena of flaking of the terrain. The surrounding landscape small features and historical memories make them a place of extraordinary beauty. The fame of Canossa is linked to the historic meeting held January 27, 1077, when Pope Gregory VII absolved from the excommunication of the Emperor Henry IV in the presence of the Countess Matilda and Abbot Hugh of Cluny. The site is home to the museum Naborre Campanini, which houses finds from excavations of the castle in the years 1877 and 1893. The objects in the museum relate to the themes: the figure of Matilda and her era, the history of the archaeological excavations, the nature trail.