spinner-caricamento
Share
Museo Canova

Canova Museum

The Antonio Canova Museum, with its Gypsotheca, is located in the town of Possagno (Treviso) and represents one of the first great Italian art collections.

The Canova Museum is administered by the Canova Foundation, the cultural organization that enhances the great Canova heritage of Possagno.

Commissioned in the mid-nineteenth century by Giovanni Battista Sartori, the brother of Antonio Canova, the Canova Foundation also preserves and promotes the knowledge of the birthplace, where Canova was born in 1757 and which still retains the original furniture, and is today the seat of the Pinacoteca: “the most appropriate and most charged with symbolic values”.

The Gypsotheca and Antonio Canova Museum houses the complete collection of the original models, created by Canova himself in his Roman atelier, to allow his workshop to make marble copies.

The Canova Museum with its extraordinary collection of models is divided between the spaces of the suggestive basilica built by the Venetian architect Francesco Lazzari (1836) and those of the brilliant pavilion designed by Carlo Scarpa (1957).

The Gypsotheca allows not only to admire a series of absolute masterpieces but also to understand the rich and complex itinerary of Canova's invention, of his acquaintances, of the Italian and European clients who appreciated, searched for and purchased his numerous works.

Gallery

Permanent Collection

Timetable and tickets

Address

Via A. Canova, 74
31054 Possagno

Contacts


Related searches

You don't know about Artsupp yet?

Artsupp is the new museum portal that was born to bring together all the highlights from the world of art and Italian museums on a single platform.

About us