The Regional Museum of Messina is located in Messina's historic center and is located in the former textile mill Barbera - Mellinghoff. The Museum was founded in 1806 as a Municipal Museum with the aim of preserving and enhancing the large collection of paintings owned by the Messina Senate. The Museum is rich in works of visual art ranging from 1100 to the eighteenth century. The collection includes paintings, sculptures and decorative objects of extraordinary importance of artists such as Jerome Alibrandi, Vincenzo Catena, Annibale Carracci, Mattia Preti, Caravaggio, Francesco Laurana, Antonello da Messina, and many others. Among the most important paintings are cited two paintings by Caravaggio: "The Adoration of the Shepherds" and the "Resurrection of Lazarus." The marble works include numerous Roman and Byzantine workers with capitals, pilasters and baptismal fonts. Many of the works currently on display in the museum before were part of the Cathedral of Messina collection. In fact, many sacred and wooden furniture materials come from environments adjacent to the Cathedral and from the interiors themselves. For example, it is certainly of great value on the cathedral ceiling with depictions of St. George, the Angels Warriors and Jonah comes from the mouth of the whale. Of the precious treasure of the Cathedral of Messina it belongs blooming branch in gold, pearls, emeralds and enamel of the seventeenth century.