The Scientific Museums of Palazzo Paccaroni
Palazzo Paccaroni is located in Fermo along Corso Cavour, in the Contrada di San Bartolomeo, the property undoubtedly represents one of the most prestigious buildings in the entire architectural heritage of the city of Fermo. At present, the building, which in the past housed the “G. Rossini” Conservatory of Music, is occupied by various activities, following the numerous renovations. The building is characterized by a symmetrical scheme on the facade, embellished by the central score in ashlar travertine, with carved accents inherent to the portal and the windows above, while inside we can visit 2 scientific museums:
- The “Silvio Zavatti” Polar Museum, the only museum in Italy dedicated to Italian environments, peoples and polar researches. It was founded in 1969 in Civitanova Marche by the will of Zavatti, already founder in Forlì in 1944 of the Polar Geographic Institute, of which it is an integral part. In 1985 the Museum was donated to the Municipality of Fermo and in 1993 it was inaugurated in Villa Vitali. Since 1999 it has undergone profound changes. The necessary inventory of the objects preserved in it was followed by a new organization of the structure, more rational and responsive to modern museum needs. Inside we can visit the material collected by the explorer Silvio Zavatti during his 5 polar expeditions, and the result of recent donations and acquisitions, including the donation of Jean Malaurie, Lino Brillarelli and Luciana Gabrielli.
- The “Tommaso Salvadori” Museum of Natural Sciences contains the ornithological collection of Tommaso Salvadori, coming from hunting trips carried out in the Marche (especially in Fermano and Ascolano) and from excursions to Sardinia. The collection includes examples of the Marche and Italian avifauna, including very rare species such as the Osprey, the Monk Vulture, the Bearded Vulture and the Eagle Owl. In 1930 the ornithological collection was donated together with the storage cabinets and the omnia work of the ornithologist to the city of Fermo, by the great-granddaughter, Mrs. Gladys Salvadori Paleotti Muzzarelli, so that it was duly preserved and exposed to the public. Salvadori personally prepared most of the specimens in his collection, taking care of the embalming technique and choosing the supports used. In particular, the poses of the subjects and the very lively attitudes of many of them betray a long and passionate study from life of their "live" behavior.