Monumental complex of San Vincenzo al Volturno
The Benedictine monastic complex of San Vincenzo al Volturno has an inestimable historical value, being the largest and best preserved early medieval monastic site in Europe. he arrival of the Franks in 774 was directly subjected to the authority of Charlemagne in 787.The election of Abbot Joshua (792-817) marked the most important moment of the political and spiritual rise, through a vast program of architectural reorganization that transformed San Vincenzo into one of the most important monastic cities in Europe. The complex not only counted nine churches but also numerous shops of refined artisans who excelled in goldsmithing and glass production, whose finds are preserved in the archaeological museum of Venafro. San Vincenzo was attacked and set on fire by the Saracens in 881. The reconstruction of the monastery will take place only at the end of the tenth century but at the end of the eleventh century, due to the Norman threat, the monastery was moved along the right bank of the Volturno, safer and more defensible ("San Vincenzo Nuovo").
During the 13th-15th century the decay and disintegration of the monastic complex and its land properties began, which Pope Innocent XII (1615-1700) transferred in 1699 under the jurisdiction of the Abbey of Montecassino, on which it still depends today. remain the remains of frescoes, the marble floors, and the altars that give the idea of beauty and architectural harmony, in addition to the "Crypt of Epiphanius", whose frescoes represent one of the most important pictorial cycles of the early European Middle Ages .