Palazzo Massimo in Rome is a wonderful neo-Renaissance style building built between 1883 and 1887 on a project by the architect Camillo Pistrucci .
Also known as Palazzo Massimo alle Terme , it was born as a college of the Jesuit fathers and kept this destination until 1960.
In 1981 Palazzo Massimo was acquired by the Italian State, to become one of the headquarters of the National Roman Museum . The collections are distributed over the four floors of the building according to a chronological and thematic criterion: the ground floor, the first and the second floor are dedicated to the section of ancient art ; the basement houses the numismatic and goldsmithing sections. In the exhibition on the ground floor you can follow the evolution of the Roman portrait from the late Republican era to the beginning of the empire, to which the portraits of the Augustus family and the statue of the emperor in the guise of Pope Maximus date back.
Among the original Greek works imported to Rome, the Niobide from the Horti Sallustiani and the bronze statue of the Boxer stand out. The theme of the portrait continues on the first floor, where the development of the imperial image from the Flavian age to late antiquity is illustrated. Ample space is dedicated to the “ideal” sculpture depicting gods and other characters from the myth. Among the statuary masterpieces that decorated the imperial residences, the Maiden of Anzio and the Roman copies of famous Greek works: the Lancellotti Discobolus, the crouching Aphrodite and the sleeping Hermaphrodite are worthy of note. Noteworthy are the bronze sculptures that decorated Nemi's Ships and the Portonaccio sarcophagus.
On the second floor , frescoes, stuccos and mosaics document the decoration of prestigious Roman residences. An evocative set-up recomposes the rooms of the Villa di Livia in Prima Porta and the Villa della Farnesina in their original dimensions.
Finally, the basement is dedicated to the medal collection of the National Roman Museum, with a path marked by the salient stages of the economic history of our country. The luxury and the goldsmith's are documented by sumptuous funerary objects, such as that of the Child of Grottarossa, displayed next to the small mummy. A selection of objects related to the uses and customs of the Romans illustrates the costs of daily life. The precious scepters presented in the hall of the Imperial Insignia enrich the picture of the "signs of power" in Roman times