The Saint Bénin Center is located in the historic center of Aosta. Founded during the eleventh century by the Benedictine abbey Piedmont San Benigno Fruttuaria, then passed to the Canons of the Great St. Bernard since the twelfth century, the priory of Saint-Benin was transformed into a College of Higher Studies by Pope Clement VIII with a bull of 1597. For more than three centuries the "Collège Saint-Bénin" fueled the local culture and formed the secular leadership of the Valle d'Aosta. According to tradition, it was the Benedictines of Saint-Benin Saint Anselm learned the rudiments of culture and cultivated the vocation that would take him on primatial seat of Canterbury. Today the vast chapel of the College, rebuilt from 1676 to 1680 next to the Romanesque bell tower of 1100, is used as a prestigious venue for exhibitions devoted to modern and contemporary national and international.