Rocca Albornoz Etruscan National Museum
The National Etruscan Museum Rocca Albornoz is the archaeological museum of the city of Viterbo. Rocca Albornoz, seat of the National Archaeological Museum, was built in 1354 by Cardinal Egidio Albornoz, and renovated in 1506 promoted by Pope Julius II who commissioned Bramante to add the courtyard and the central fountain. The fortress rests on the walls of the city of Viterbo and dominates the square below where there is a peperino fountain, designed by Vignola. The Museum, in addition to being placed in a splendid architectural setting, preserves finds of extreme beauty and of considerable scientific value. With effective life-size reconstructions, the Etruscan houses of Acquarossa and the centers of Musarna and Ferento are presented. There are a large number of Etruscan funerary objects from the main sites of the province, including the tomb of the chariot of Ischia di Castro, a prestigious Etruscan masterpiece of the sixth century BC.