The monumental complex
The Monumental Complex and Prehistoric Civic Museum is located on Isolino Virginia on Lake Varese. The island is considered the oldest pile-dwelling settlement in the Alps and since 27 June 2011 it has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The main feature of the island is precisely the fact that it has a small prehistoric museum and is at the same time an open-air museum, as it is a restricted archaeological and environmental area. In the 16th century it was known and named as "Isola di S. Biagio" due to the presence of a small church dedicated to the saint. Subsequently, at the beginning of the 18th century, it was the residence of innocent Besozzi who, in honor of his wife, called the island Camilla. Instead, the current name Virginia was given by the Marquis Andrea Ponti in 1878 again in honor of his wife. Since 1962, following the donation by the Marquis Gianfelice Ponti, it has been owned by the Municipality of Varese. On the island you can visit the outdoor educational trail and the Prehistoric Civic Museum.