The Royal Museums of Turin
The Royal Museums of Turin are one of the largest and richest museum complexes in Europe and are equal, for their size and for the value of the collections, to the major European royal residences. They are located in the heart of the ancient city and offer an itinerary of history, art and nature that winds through more than 3 km of museum walk on 30,000 m2 of exhibition and storage spaces and 7 hectares of gardens, with evidence dating from prehistory to modern age .
The origin of the complex dates back to 1563, when Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia moved the capital of the duchy from Chambéry to Turin and began a major urban transformation project and the enrichment of the dynastic collections. Between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the residence, with the majestic Royal Palace at its centre, expanded into a city, following the orthogonal scheme of the first urban expansion towards the Po river. Inhabited by the Savoys until 1946, it is now owned by the Italian State.
Since 2014, the Royal Museums have brought together in a single system the Palace with the Royal Armory and the Shroud Chapel, the Royal Library , the Savoy Gallery , the Museum of Antiquities and the Royal Gardens.