Strada Nuova Museums, Palazzo Lomellino
Palazzo Lomellino was built by the will of Nicolosio Lomellino between 1563 and 1569, based on a project by the Lombard architect Giovanni Battista Castello known as Bergamasco . In 1550, to meet the needs of some Genoese aristocratic families, a new road axis was designed - today's Via Garibaldi - to connect the medieval center and the eastern areas, thus creating a new district of magnificence.
The Antica Strada Nuova dei Palazzi de facto became an elite area, where the city's aristocracy, satisfying their desire for self-celebration, competed to commission elegant residences from the most important architects of the time, who were able to experiment here with innovative and updated.
The lot on which Palazzo Lomellino stands, formerly Luca Grimaldi's public land, was initially purchased by the Gentile family in 1559, on the occasion of the first public auction of the land; it then passed to the Lomellinis in 1563, who immediately began the work campaign. The client Nicolosio Lomellino had amassed a large fortune by investing, together with his brother Francesco, in the profitable coral fishing on the Tunisian island of Tabarca. According to the latest reconstruction of Pesenti, the Palazzo was purchased in December 1609 by Luigi Centurione, while the passage to the Pallavicini was correctly dated by the writer to 1711, thanks to the discovery of new archive papers (Manzitti, Priarone cds). After a brief parenthesis owned by Raggi, in 1865 the baron Andrea Podestà, a prominent figure in Genoa at the time and three times mayor of the city, acquired the property, which by direct descent came to the current owners.
Inside Palazzo Lomellino there is the cycle of frescoes by Bernardo Strozzi , made in 1623-1624.
Today it is possible to admire, with its dazzling colors, the Allegory of Faith depicting a rowboat from which a woman (the Christian faith) is helped to land on the mainland, to bring the faith to the natives of the New World. In the other two rooms, in more precarious conditions, frescoes on Astrology and fragments with the Navigation and Tritons were found.
On the second floor there are frescoes by the most important exponents of the late Genoese baroque: Giacomo Antonio Boni frescoed Jupiter and the Amaltea goat and Domenico Parodi Bacco holding the Ariadne crown. Lorenzo De Ferrari is the stucco and fresco decoration with figures of divinities on the vault of the gallery. The hall, with decorations by Tommaso Aldrovandini , houses five famous canvases with Stories of Diana made by Marcantonio Franceschini.