Museo Nazionale Collezione Salce San Gaetano
The Salce Collection National Museum preserves the largest collection of advertising graphics in Italy donated to the Italian State by the Treviso-born Ferdinando Salce (1877-1962), known as Nando, with a will dated April 26, 1962. The accountant Salce developed an irrepressible passion from an early age. for the illustrated posters and thanks to the wealthy economic condition of the family he devoted himself to collecting almost exclusively. In 1895, at the age of 18, he bought Giovanni Maria Mataloni's patented Auer gas incandescence, the first affiche in his collection. Since then he will never stop: over the course of his life he will collect about 25,000 pieces, kept until his death in the attic of his house in Piazza Mazzini, in the historic center of Treviso.
For decades the Collection did not benefit from its own exhibition space and knowledge of him remained entrusted to temporary exhibition events.
In 2014 it became a permanent museum, based in San Gaetano and accessible to the public from May 2017. In 2021, the exhibition and conservation center of Santa Margherita, also in Treviso, in via Regimento Italia Libera was added. The Museum therefore has two locations, both in the historic center of the city not far from each other. The museum offer in both locations has no permanent configuration: due to scientific choice and for conservation reasons, the materials of the Salce Collection are exhibited in rotation as part of temporary monographic or thematic exhibitions.
The museum of San Gaetano is divided into four floors that house service spaces (reception, bookshop, infopoint, toilette) and exhibition surfaces specially designed for graphic materials. On the occasion of the entrance to the museum it is also possible to visit the church of San Gaetano, a building of the Knights Templar, rich in history and works of art.