spinner-caricamento
Share

The Museums of Villa Torlonia

The Museums of Villa Torlonia are part of the System of Museums in the Municipality of Rome.They are located in the park of Villa Torlonia and include the Casino Nobile and the Casina delle civette. The restored Casino Nobile houses the Museum of the Villa on its two representative floors, with period sculptures and furnishings. On the second floor is the Museum of the Roman School, with paintings, sculptures and drawings by artists of that current, considered among the most interesting and vital of figurative research in the period between the first and second world war, also known by the name of the school in via Cavour. The adjacent Casino dei Principi, where the Archives of the Roman School can be consulted, rich in documents, periodically hosts temporary exhibitions. The Casina delle civette stands out for its originality. Conceived in 1839 by the architect Giuseppe Jappelli as a "Swiss hut", it was transformed at the beginning of the twentieth century into an eclectic villa, the residence of Prince Torlonia. Its name is linked to the use of decorative elements inspired by the theme of the owl. The numerous polychrome stained glass windows present were largely made by Cesare Picchiarini between 1910 and 1925, based on designs by Duilio Cambellotti, Umberto Bottazzi, Vittorio Grassi and Paolo Paschetto.

Timetable and tickets

Address

Via Nomentana, 70
00161 Rome

Contacts

Not registered yet?

Don't miss the best exhibitions and the most interesting events!

sign in

Other museums in Rome

Related searches