The Capitoline Museums
The Capitoline Museums are located in the buildings overlooking Piazza del Campidoglio, built by Michelangelo Buonarroti in 1500. They represent the main Civic Museum of Rome, as well as being considered the first museum in the world, intended as a place where art was accessible to all and not just by the owners. The birth of the Capitoline Museums is traced back to 1471, when Pope Sixtus IV gave the Roman people a group of bronze statues of great symbolic value. The collection of works of art was enriched over time with donations from various popes and was better allocated with the construction of the Palazzo Nuovo in 1654. Since then the museum has grown considerably, including not only artifacts from the Roman age that are remarkable for quantity and quality (statues, inscriptions, mosaics), but also pieces of medieval, Renaissance and Baroque art. The museum was open to public visits at the behest of Pope Clement XII almost a century later, in 1734. During the French occupation, several works took the road to France due to the Napoleonic spoliation. The Spinario, the Capitoline Venus, the Capitoline Brutus and the dying Galata. Other works, however, such as the Sarcophagus of the Muses remained in the Louvre.