The Capitoline Museums are located in buildings that look out on Piazza del Campidoglio, designed by Michelangelo Buonarroti in 1500. They represent the main Civico Museo di Roma, as well as being considered the first museum in the world, as a place where art was enjoyed by all and not only by the owners. The Birth of the Capitoline Museums is traced back to 1471, when Pope Sixtus IV donated to the people of Rome a group of bronze statues of great symbolic value. The collection of works of art was enriched over time with donations of various popes and was better allocated with the construction of the New Palace in 1654. Since then the museum has grown significantly, including not only artifacts from the Roman era notable for the quantity and quality (statues, inscriptions, mosaics), but also pieces of medieval art, Renaissance and Baroque. The museum was opened to public visits by Pope Clement XII almost a century later, in 1734. During the French occupation, several works unto the way of France because of the Napoleonic pillage. The Spinario, the Capitoline Venus, the Capitoline Brutus and the Dying Gaul. Other works however, such as the Sarcophagus of the Muses were the Louvre.