Share

The Abbey of Santa Maria Staffarda in Revello was founded between 1122 and 1138 on the territory of the ancient Marquisate of Saluzzo. The Abbey had reach in a few decades considerable economic importance as a place of gathering, processing and exchange of products of the surrounding countryside, made fertile by the monks with extensive and complex land reclamation works. The economic importance brought to the abbey civil and ecclesiastical privileges, who made reference to the political and social life of the area. In 1690 the French, led by General Catinat invaded the Abbey destroying the archives, the library, the cloister and the refectory; 1715-1734, with the financial help of Vittorio Amedeo II, were carried out restoration work that partially altered the original Gothic style of architecture. By Papal Bull of Pope Benedict XIV, in 1750, the Abbey and its assets became the property of the Order of SS. Maurice and Lazarus, and established as Commandery. Of the abbey is particularly appreciate the Church, with the polyptych by Pascale Oddone and the sixteenth-century wooden sculpture of the Crucifixion, the Cloister, the Refectory, with traces of painting depicting "The Last Supper", the Chapter House, the Lodge; the other buildings are the so-called "concentric" Staffarda, that the village, which still preserves the historical functional architectural structures to agriculture, such as the covered market on the square outside the Abbey and the farms.

Timetable and tickets

Address

Piazza Roma, 2
12036 Revello

Non sei ancora registrato?

Non perdere di vista le migliori mostre e gli appuntamenti più interessanti!

registrati

Related searches

spinner-caricamento