An important example of architecture of the mendicant order in southern Italy, the church, built between the end of the thirteenth and the beginning of the fourteenth century on the remains of a previous Romanesque building, belonged to a convent complex, of which the well and part of the cloister remain. . The building maintained its original destination until 1806, when, with the arrival of the French, the friars abandoned it. Restored in various phases starting in 1951, it is now used as a multipurpose room for events of cultural interest.
The church is accessed through a fourteenth-century monumental portal with Arab-Norman-inspired decorations. The building consists of two parts: the hall, a large rectangular room with a trussed roof and the presbytery, covered by an eight-sided vault, where the seventeenth-century high altar is located, decorated with polychrome marble inlays with phytomorphic subjects. , zoomorphic and landscape. The church houses the tomb of Nicola Ruffo di Calabria , dated to 1372 - 1374, a valuable work by sculptors of the Neapolitan school active at the Angevin court.