The MAR - Museum of Art of the City of Ravenna is located within the monumental complex of the Loggetta Lombardesca which takes its name from the elegant sixteenth-century loggia.
The Pinacoteca , whose collections go from the fourteenth century to the present day, opens up to modernity in the very recent rearrangement. From the neoclassical landscape of Giambattista Bassi , to the Tuscan purism of Antonio Ciseri , up to the already symbolist testimonies of Vittorio Guaccimanni , and of the very gifted Domenico Baccarini . Central to the contemporary collection is a female nude by Klimt . The second half of the twentieth century is documented by a nucleus of informal works, followed by some prominent names of Roman Pop such as Schifano and Tano Festa , to continue with the protagonists of the abstract and analytical current, such as Veronesi , Boetti , Dadamaino , Olivieri , Castellani , Griffa , up to Mondino and Cattelan .
The Collection of Modern and Contemporary Mosaics preserves a series of 20 mosaics, accompanied by the preparatory cartoons, created for an exhibition in 1959. The initiative was joined by, among others, Chagall and Mathieu , Guttuso , Afro and Mirko , Cagli , Caporossi , Saetti , Birolli , Santomaso , Vedova , Moreni , Corpora , De Luigi and Campigli . Collection, continuously enriched thanks to mosaic translations from works by Mimmo Paladino, Giosetta Fioroni, Balthus and Michelangelo Antonioni, Ontani and Carmi, but also works made by the same artists such as Vedova, Marco De Luca, Marco Bravura, Sartelli, Raccagni, Fabbri , Barberini, CaCO3 and many others. The collection is constantly expanding, also thanks to the biennial international competition GAEM - Young Artists and Mosaic curated by CIDM - International Center for Documentation on Mosaics, a section of the MAR created to promote the research, study and enhancement of mosaics.