The Abbey Of Fossanova
The Abbey of Fossanova is located in the municipality of Priverno province of Latina and takes its name from a sewer in the early days of the small village of Privett was called Fossa Nova. The Abbey is a perfect example of the first Italian Gothic style, and more precisely of a visible form of transition from Romanesque to Gothic; the interior is bare or almost of frescoes according to the austere memento mori the monks. Declared a "National Monument" in 1874, the Abbey of Fossanova is the oldest example of Cistercian Gothic art in Italy and, together with the Abbey of Casamari, one of its highest expressions. The complex was built in the late 1100s by the conversion of an existing Benedictine monastery. The abbey complex known as the rebuilding of the Benedictine consists of the cloister, the fulcrum of the body, the church of Santa Maria, the Chapter House with overhanging dormitories of the monks, the refectory, the kitchen and the dormitories of the lay. The resort also features a house for pilgrims, the cemetery and the infirmary. Consecrated in 1208, retains the bare architecture, the magnificent rose window and lantern and finely sculpted capitals, reflecting the prominent role played in the area. The buildings of the monumental complex are fenced so as to appear as a borough, moreover enriched by the remains of a Roman villa of the first century BC, visible just in front of the church. In one of the local abbey we will sell the products of the monks, from food to wines and spirits. In the infirmary there is the room where he lived, prayed and meditated St. Thomas Aquinas in the last days of his life and where he died in 1274; Today the church still keeps it simple empty tomb (the body was transferred by the Dominicans in Toulouse at the end of the fourteenth century) consists of a rectangular slab of marble or travertine.