spinner-caricamento
Share
Museum complex of the Most August Archconfraternity of the Pilgrims

The museum complex of the pilgrims

The Pellegrini Museum Complex , in Naples, is a few steps from the lower decumanus ( Spaccanapoli ), in the popular “ Pignasecca ” district, an open-air market area full of sites of architectural, historical and artistic interest.

The Pellegrini Museum Complex is a place of memory, created to make accessible to all the remarkable historical, artistic and architectural heritage collected and preserved, from the last decades of the sixteenth century to today, in the historic seat of the Archconfraternity .

The Augustissima Archconfraternity and Hospitals of the SS. Trinità dei Pellegrini e Convalescenti was born in 1578 and today has about 700 members. The initial commitment aimed at taking charge of the poor conditions and precarious health of pilgrims, with the changing demands of the poorest, has taken on new forms from time to time. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the ancient "Casa Ospitale" thus became a modern health hospital and, when this was absorbed by the national health system (1970), it was through the "Bernardo Giovino" popular outpatient clinic and the "Fabrizio Social Education Center" for minors. Pignatelli ”, which concretizes the adhesion of the confreres to the spirit of service and hospitality which is the origin and purpose of the Archconfraternity. At the service of the cultural and civil growth of the city, the Archconfraternity promotes and hosts conferences, debates, scientific conferences and artistic events open to the public.

The Pellegrini Museum Complex is a constitutive element of the city's identity: here popular devotion, works of charity and hospitality, artistic expression have interacted for centuries with the complex life of the city. It is a living and open place of cultural production: home to exhibitions, conferences, public meetings, concerts, educational activities, social activities.

The Pellegrini Museum Complex includes the church of Santa Maria Materdomini (1574), the church of the Holy Trinity (1798), the work of Carlo Vanvitelli, enriched by the walnut briar choir and dome with pure gold motifs designed by Giuseppe Astarita and by monumental Holy Land , designed by Giovan Antonio Medrano in the second half of the 18th century.

Gallery

Works on display

Timetable and tickets

Address

via Portamedina, 41
80134 Naples

Contacts


Other museums in Naples

Related searches

What you can find on Artsupp

Artsupp is the museums’ portal through which it’s easy to discover art, exhibitions and artworks. Now museums in France, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany and Spain can also share their activities with users

About us