The National Museum of Palazzo Mansi, a real museum-residence, is an exemplary document of the homes of the merchants of Lucca. Transformed in the late seventeenth century by the Mansi family, who owned it, in "official palace" and set according to the prevailing Baroque style, it is now set up as an important example of "museum within a museum." In environments of this typical Lucca residence which retains much of the original furnishings and a precious cycle of tapestries in Brussels, houses the art gallery with paintings of the Italian schools and not from the sixteenth to the eighteenth century. On the second floor are arranged the sections dedicated to the nineteenth and the twentieth century and in environments that welcomed the kitchens of the building is placed the rustic weaving Laboratory Maria Niemack, which exposes frames and eight-novecenteschi instruments. The palace contains the secular history of the family who, in the sixteenth century, was able to diversify its interests alongside the traditional activities of agriculture and land type commercial initiatives, thereby boosting economic and social prestige fortune. By the late sixteenth century plant, fruit of the union of houses existing towers, the palace was bought in 1616 by Ascanio Mansi. In the operation of renewal commissioned by the architect Raffaello Mansi Lucca Raffaello Mazzanti and implemented between 1686 and 1691, it was restored in a sumptuous Baroque interior of the main floor, with frescoes that enhance or variously alluding to the glory of the family . Other restoration and modernization were made by Luigi Mansi in the eighteenth century. The building was sold to the state in 1965 and as a National Museum was opened in 1977.