L’ island on which stands the fortress of Le Castella è localized to’ endsà Eastern Gulf of Squillace, in the environment of significant natural value of’ Marine Protected Area of Capo Rizzuto , established in 1991. Connected to the mainland by a thin strip of land, creates an evocative theatrical symbiosis between architecture built and natural architecture.
The original building dates back to the’ età Anjou, which would be attributable to the massive cylindrical tower, which today is presented in its sixteenth definition dominating the fort complex with its grandeur. L’ the thirteenth century plant, built to defend the Gulf of Capo Rizzuto, part of the system of fortifications wanted by the Angevins. Towards the end of the fifteenth century the fortress passes into the hands Aragon and between 1510 and 1526 the Carafa Count realizes, according to the Spanish constructive uses, the ramparts quadrangular rammed and risegati.&Nbsp;
The tower, divided in three floors connected by a spiral staircase remained intact in the thick perimetric wall, it has at its base a cavityà for the collection and storage of rainwater.
All’ interior of the characteristic fortress are the remains of an urban area, like a small village with shops and the ruins of a church, called the Village Chapel , built in età Aragon.