The museum, founded in 1888 following the donation to the Municipality of Forlì of memorabilia and documents on the life and political activity of Piero Maroncelli (1795-1846), was then further enriched thanks to bequests from other Forlì citizens.
In the rooms on the first floor of Palazzo Gaddi - also known as Sale Giani due to the decorations by the painter Felice Giani -, objects belonging to some important protagonists of the National Risorgimento and numerous testimonies relating to the voluntary and Garibaldi "vocation" of the Forlì people are exhibited. .
In addition to the relics of Maroncelli, affiliated to the Carboneria and imprisoned together with Silvio Pellico, there are memories of Aurelio Saffi (1819-1890), illustrious Forlì, patriot, journalist and authoritative Italian politician, of Achille Cantoni (1835-1867), a very volunteer dear to Giuseppe Garibaldi, and other materials related to important personalities such as Carlo Matteucci (1811-1868), physicist of international fame, as well as Minister of Education of the Kingdom of Italy, Giovita Lazzarini (1813-1849) Minister of Grace and Justice of the Roman Republic and Antonio Fratti (1845-1897) volunteer in the military expedition commanded by Ricciotti Garibaldi, son of Giuseppe, who rushed to defend Greece in the Greek-Turkish war.
A room is also dedicated to the two Forlì gold medals for military valor of the Great War, Fulcieri Paulucci di Calboli and Italo Stegher.