Medici Riccardi Palace
Palazzo Medici Riccardi is located in the historic center of Florence , near Palazzo Strozzi and the church of Santa Maria Novella .
Palazzo Medici Riccardi was born in 1444 by the will of Cosimo the Elder as the residence of the Medici family. Michelozzo was chosen as the architect for the construction of the building. The Medici lived in the Palazzo until 1659, when the building was sold to the Marquis Gabriello Riccardo.
Outside the building it is still possible to observe the heraldic coats of arms of the two families who lived in the building. The internal decorations of the building are of fifteenth and seventeenth century origins: the first thanks to Beato Angelico, Benozzo Gozzoli with the " Cavalcade of the Magi " and to follow Luca Giordano with " The apotheosis of the Medici ".
Palazzo Medici Riccardi houses a collection of various works such as Roman archaeological finds and ancient marbles . In addition to the museum collection, the building hosts temporary exhibitions of modern and contemporary art . Of great interest is Michelozzo's central courtyard, an elegant Renaissance project with classical elements. Another important element is the garden in the back of the building where the Limonaia is located with eighteenth-century stuccoes and decorations.