The Leonardian Museum of Vinci was founded on April 15, 1953 thanks to the generous contribution of the International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) which at the time donated to the museum a series of reconstructions based on drawings by Leonardo himself.
At the beginning the museum occupied only four rooms of the Castle, and then moved to its current spaces in 1983 and definitively adopted the name of Leonardiano (it was previously called the Museo della Macchine or Museo Vinciano) in 1986.
Over the years, the Leonardiano da Vinci museum has been enriched with machines and mechanisms created by the Tuscan genius and has become a point of reference for all lovers of art and the inspiration of the Master in engineering and technology.
In 2004 the Museum saw an expansion of its spaces with the merging of the Castello dei Conti Guidi and the Palazzina Uzielli. The new access, from the Guidi Castle, was further enriched thanks to the intervention and project of the artist Mimmo Paladino who created an unprecedented and autonomous scenography in line with the figure of Leonardo.
A final and significant intervention was carried out between 2008 and 2010 and made it possible to remove architectural barriers and a renewal of the exhibition spaces where the collection that includes studies on flight, motion in water, optical experiments is set up. and textile machines.