Museum of Furniture and Wooden Sculptures
The Museum of Furniture and Wooden Sculptures in Milan was formed thanks to donations, bequests and with the purchase, in 1908, of the collection of the Mora, a family of cabinetmakers of Bergamo origin who, for some time now in Milan, had a famous shop in via Solferino.
In the twentieth century the nucleus of the Furniture Museum expanded thanks to the inheritance of families such as the Durini, the Andreani, the Boschi and above all thanks to the deposit of some furnishings from the Savoy residences, such as the Royal Palace and the Villas of Milan and Monza. left in the state and destined for civic collections.
The Furniture Collection, set up by the BBPR studio (Banfi, Belgiojoso, Peressutti, Rogers) in the 1960s according to a chronological criterion that favored an evident cataloging intent, was reopened to the public with a new presentation in 1981.
In this setting, particular attention was paid to the furniture of the Renaissance age and taste, although often restored in the nineteenth century. In 2004 the section was completely rearranged under the direction of Claudio Salsi and based on a project by architects Perry King and Santiago Miranda. On this occasion, the chronological boundary widened, opening the gaze to the contemporary, offering an updated museum to a city like Milan, the capital of design, and to a region like Lombardy, a protagonist of furniture production for two hundred years.