The Royal Museums of Turin
The Royal Museums of Turin are one of the largest and richest museum complexes in Europe and are equal, for their size and the value of the collections, to the major European royal residences. They are located in the heart of the ancient city and offer an itinerary of history, art and nature that winds through over 3 km of museum walk on 30,000 square meters of exhibition and storage spaces and 7 hectares of gardens, with evidence dating from Prehistory to modern age .
The origin of the complex dates back to 1563, when Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia moved the capital of the duchy from Chambéry to Turin and began a major urban transformation project and enrichment of the dynastic collections. Between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the residence, with the majestic Royal Palace in the center, expanded in the shape of a city, following the orthogonal scheme of the first urban expansion towards the Po river. Inhabited by the Savoy until 1946, it is now owned by the Italian State.
Since 2014, the Royal Museums have united in a single system the Palace with the Royal Armory and the Chapel of the Shroud, the Royal Library , the Savoy Gallery , the Museum of Antiquities and the Royal Gardens.