The Mario Praz Museum
The Mario Praz Museum was opened to the public in June 1995 and is one of the rare examples of a house-museum on the Italian museum scene.
The Museum was created in sixty years of passionate collecting by Mario Praz (Rome 1896-1982) an anglist and critic of international standing.
It looks like a 19th century noble residence furnished in all its details with furniture, paintings, sculptures, carpets, curtains, chandeliers, bronzes, crystals, porcelains, miniatures, silvers and marbles.
The furnishings exhibited in the Mario Praz Museum were purchased on the European antiques market, in France, Germany and England, as well as in Italy and offer a highly enjoyable overview of a 'furniture philosophy' that ranges from the neoclassical taste of the end of the century XVIII through the empire style, up to the more domestic Biedermeier style that characterizes the second half of the nineteenth century.
Reception rooms and bedrooms, libraries, study and dining room are offered one after the other to the visitor who is welcomed there as in a still inhabited residence, with fresh flowers in vases and open books on the tables.
On the walls, many paintings represent views of 19th-century interiors and it is not unusual to find among the furnishings of the house some of the objects reproduced in the paintings themselves, such as, for example, the large Erad harp from the beginning of the 19th century placed in the studio, near a portrait of a lady who in a blue dress in the fashion of 1830 leans on an identical musical instrument.