Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum for Decorative Arts, Costume and Fashion of the 19th and 20th centuries
The Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum, in Rome , is housed in the villa of the same name and which was designed in 1901 by the engineer Giovanni Battista Giovenale (1849-1934).
The Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum is located between Porta Pinciana and Porta Salaria, where in the 17th century Villa Ludovisi stood which, together with the nearby Villa Medici and numerous other villas and noble gardens, constituted the large green belt around the historic center of Rome since the ancient.
The building is a particular example of eclectic architecture , expressive of the taste defined as "Roman Baroque" of the early twentieth century which is mixed with Liberty elements.
The Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum is dedicated to decorative arts, costume and Italian fashion . Divided into five exhibition rooms, the Museum displays the original furnishings of the villa including furniture, tapestries, paintings and ceramics.
Furthermore, objects ranging from the 18th century to the 20th century are exhibited here and include examples of decorative arts, costume, design and Italian high fashion clothing , including models by Fausto Sarli, Fernanda Gattinoni, Valentino, Roberto Capucci, Raffaella Curiel, Lorenzo Riva, Renato Balestra, Mila Schön, Marella Ferrera, André Laug and Angelo Litrico. In 1996, the important collection of clothes belonging to Palma Bucarelli (1910-1998), the director of the National Gallery of Modern Art in Rome from 1941 to 1975, was added to this heritage. There are still clothes from the Sartoria Paradisi in Rome and the deposits of important collectors, such as that of the fashion journalist Maria Vittoria Caruso Alfonsi.
In addition to its historic collections, the Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum also hosts contemporary art events and exhibitions.
Ph. credit Roberto Galasso, Valentina Filamingo and Maximiliano Massaroni