The Hendrik Christian Andersen Museum
The Hendrik Christian Andersen Museum in Rome is a house museum in Rome that is part of the Directorate of State Museums of the City of Rome (Mibact).
The museum preserves the works of the sculptor and painter Hendrik C. Andersen, born in Bergen in Norway on April 17, 1872 and naturalized in the United States, having emigrated while still a child with his family to Newport (Rhode Island).
The renovation and restoration work of the Andersen Museum, financed with funds derived from the Lotto game for the year 1998, made it possible to open it to the public, which took place on December 19, 1999. The "training journey" towards Europe, settled in Rome where he lived for over forty years, starting in 1897. On his death, on December 19, 1940, he left his studio-home in via Mancini and its contents to the Italian State: works, furnishings , archival papers, photographic material, books.
The collection of works consists of over two hundred sculptures, of which about forty are large in plaster and bronze; over two hundred paintings; over three hundred graphic works.
The Andersen Museum collection stands out for its exceptional nature, being almost entirely centered around the utopian idea of a great "World City", destined to be the international headquarters of a perennial laboratory of ideas in the field of arts, sciences, philosophical and religious thinking. To this project and its diffusion, Andersen had dedicated in 1913, together with the French architect Ernest Hébrard, a powerful illustrated volume (Creation of a World Center of Communication) which, starting from the urban concepts of ancient civilizations, was to indicate the arrival at new and modern "City".
Only after the death in 1978 of Lucia Andersen (adopted in 1919 by the artist's mother, and therefore usufructuary of the legacy), the National Gallery of Modern Art was entrusted with the protection of the collections and the building, which has been subject to a bond since 1975. pursuant to law no. 1089/39. The renovation and restoration of the Museum, financed with funds derived from the Lotto game for the year 1998, made it possible to open it to the public on 19 December 1999