Chinese and Ethnographic Art Museum
The Museum of Chinese Art and Ethnography of the Xaverian Missionaries of Parma began in 1901, expressly wanted by the founder Guido M. Conforti. At the conclusion of the grandiose Universal Exposition of Turin, organized in 1898, Senator Fedele Lampertico donated some valuable pieces to Msgr. Guido M. Conforti, bishop of Parma and founder of the Xaverians. The museum represents an artistic and documentary container of exceptional importance, the result of a long and tortuous path. For some decades the Xaverians worked exclusively on Chinese territory and it was precisely to the missionaries present in China that Conforti addressed, asking them to periodically send significant objects of local art and life to Parma. The last direct entry from China through the missionaries was in 1947; with the seizure of power by communism, he put an end to the Xaverian mission in China. From the 1960s, material of an ethnographic nature that came from other countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America, ensured that the museum was enriched with cultural aspects, testimony of the life of three continents.
With the inauguration of 1 December 2012, the Museum of Chinese and Ethnographic Art has undergone a radical and ambitious renovation, an investment in the field of culture that has as a privileged target visitors and schools of all kinds and levels.
The Museum preserves the commitment of the Xaverian Institute for culture and the enhancement of the great religious and cultural traditions in favor of Mother Earth and the world. A museum with a strong international identity for the value of its materials and the modernity of the architectural and exhibition solutions.