The Regional Gallery of Sicily is located in Palazzo Abatellis, built on a project by Matteo Carnalivari between 1490 and 1495, which already became the seat of a Dominican monastery a few decades after its construction and, after skilful restorations, was finally destined for a museum. masterful installation curated by Carlo Scarpa , for whom Palazzo Abatellis is known all over the world, fully incorporates that new concept of museum which established itself in Italy after the war, which provided for the full usability of works carefully chosen in accordance with the architectural container. artifacts of great value tell the development of art in Sicily from the Middle Ages to the sixteenth century and the continuous dialogue with "foreign" experiences, from Islamic figurative culture to Italian Gothic, the Renaissance, Nordic and Ponentina painting. Among the masterpieces preserved there, it is impossible not to mention, in addition to the Triumph of Death , the marble bust of Eleonora d'Aragona by Francesco Laurana, the Annunciata and the Three Doctors of the Church by Antonello da Messina and the Malvagna Triptych by Jan Gossaert. In 2009, the eighteenth-century wing of the old monastery was opened to the public, where paintings from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries document the acceptance of mannerism and the spread of devotional painting, up to the very personal synthesis between Flemish painting, Baroque classicism and Caravaggesque suggestions made by Pietro Novelli , the greatest Sicilian painter of his time.