The foundation of the Royal Palace of Naples dates from the early '600, when the Viceroy Fernando Ruiz de Castro, Count of Lemos, decided to build a residence for the needs of a modern court, without the character of a fortified residence who still could seize the adjacent Palazzo Vecchio, built in the mid '500. The site chosen for the construction of the new building at the western end of the city, insisted precisely on the area of the large old gardens viceregal palace on a raised plateau above the harbor and close to the hill of Pizzofalcone, place of foundation of the ancient Greek colony called Parthenope. In charge of the construction of the building was Domenico Fontana, one of the most famous architects of the time, that inspired his project in late Renaissance, already tested in Rome for Pope Sixtus V. The façade, characterized the use of brick skillfully matched to piperno, is divided into three architectural orders: Tuscan, ionic and Corinthian. The lower order, originally porch, was the subject of a consolidation intervention in the eighteenth century by Luigi Vanvitelli, which walled up the arches alternately creating niches within which the Savoy in 1888 they placed eight statues representing the most illustrious rulers of dynasties ascended the throne of Naples, by Roger II of Sicily to Vittorio Emanuele II. construction of the palace lasted for centuries and was completed only in 1858 by Gaetano Genovese. Since 1919 the Royal Apartment on the main floor, which is accessed through the beautiful Grand Staircase, is open to the public as a "Historical House": the path includes the Court Theater, the Throne room and the Palatine Chapel, with frescoes by the viceroys and Bourbon, precious furnishings, important paintings from the collection Farnese, a rich collection of tapestries, porcelain and clocks. In terms noon extends the Roof Garden, with spectacular views of the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius.