The Ducal Palace of Mantua is located in the north-eastern area of the city and extends between the shore of Lake Inferiore and Piazza Sordello, the ancient Piazza di San Pietro. The Gonzaga family (lords, marquises and finally dukes of the city of Mantua) made it their residence from 1328 to 1707, when the last duke, Ferdinando Carlo, was forced into exile. The building, initially composed of buildings of different ages, found an organic shape in the second half of the 16th century, when it became a single imposing architectural complex of 35,000 meters. With the Austrian dominion some rooms of the court were adapted into representative places and during the reign of Maria Theresa of Austria the building took the name of the Royal Palace. The Ducal Palace of Mantua was a point of reference for the history of art with the arrival of Pisanello in Mantua already in the early fifteenth century, and, subsequently, with the presence of Andrea Mantegna. After the abandonment of the nineteenth century, the Doge's Palace has been the subject of restoration since the beginning of the twentieth century and becomes a state museum. In addition to the painting gallery, the archeology and sculpture sections, the apartments and the Castle of San Giorgio are of considerable importance, in which there is the famous "Camera degli sposi", frescoed by Mantegna, with scenes from the life of the Gonzagas.