spinner-caricamento
Share

One of the oldest public museums in Europe, the Lapidary (epigraphic collection Greek, Etruscan, and Roman paleoveneta, but also Arabic) was established in 1745 thanks to the passionate work of Scipio Maffei collection, a distinguished man of culture Verona. It was built in the place between the ancient walls that joined it Piazza Bra and Castelvecchio. The site had been designed from the outset as a garden of access to the Academy's theater Philharmonic. Since 1612 the Philharmonic Academy had bought 28 epigraphs and was later exhibited in the courtyard in front of the building. The museum was devised at the same Scipione Maffei; the museum was later purchased by the town in 1883 and was re-equipped by modern standards in 1982. The epigraphic material and reliefs are distributed according to chronological sections in the courtyard that leads to the small theater Philharmonic, in the basement and two upper rooms. The redevelopment, completed in 1982, edited by Lanfranco Franzoni, of the architect Rudi Arrigo, highlighted, among other things, the neoclassical porch, main entrance at the Philharmonic Theater through Maffeiana room. From the internal salt leads to the walkway scaligero above the gates of the Brà.

Timetable and tickets

Address

Piazza Bra, 28
37121 Verona

Contacts

Non sei ancora registrato?

Non perdere di vista le migliori mostre e gli appuntamenti più interessanti!

registrati

Other museums in Verona

Related searches